Thursday, December 18, 2008

Seriously?

So we were off to the beach again today. The weather here is just too gorgeous. Plus, there's nothing like the beach to wear the kids out. They're just plain fun at the beach, and fun is what we need in times like this, right? Speaking of horrible times... Ray had mentioned the other day that when he was going over the Sunshine Skyway bridge that he was pretty sure someone had just committed suicide (happens often on that bridge). He had seen a couple cars lined up alongside and the police were just getting there, so the jump was pretty fresh. Sure enough, that night on the news it was confirmed. Someone couldn't bear another day on Earth and successfully ended their life. Sad. Very sad. I guess life does get that horrible for people...anyway...today as we were coming home from the beach, I noticed a bright red Superman-like phone booth at the tippy top (where the suicides usually occur). It read "Emergency Crisis Phone". I didn't laugh, because that would be horrible but kind of chuckled because C'MON NOW! Do the suicide crisis people really think that by the time someone writes their note, eats their last burger and fries, and climbs their way to the top of the Skyway Bridge they're gonna grab the Crisis Phone and attempt to be persuaded off the ledge? Personally, I would jump just from the humiliation of being seen talking on the big red phone! And can you imagine all the rubber-necking? People would DIE IN CAR ACCIDENTS WATCHING THE SUICIDAL PERSON ON THE BAT-PHONE! Whoever is running that organization didn't think this through in my opinion.
Please know I'm not an advocate of suicide or that I'm making a mockery of the situation at all-I'm not. I just don't think the big red phone is the answer, I think they could have come up with something else...but maybe I'm wrong and completely out of line.

No comments: